Saturday 9 February 2008

A week of goodbyes

This has been a bit of a sad week for me. On Thursday we went to the funeral of a friend who died of cancer. She was in the palliative care unit for three weeks prior to her death and during this time we went to say our goodbyes. She was already drifting in and out of consciousness but we still managed to get glimpses of the old Barb during her periods of lucidity and her sense of humour still shone through. It was a strange experience knowing we were taking leave permanently.

This morning we took my mother to the airport at the crack of dawn. After a visit of just over two months she is heading back to South Africa. Those airport goodbyes are really tough and it will be quite some time before we see each other again. While visiting us she turned eighty. She's in good health so I am hoping that she will be able to make the journey again in two years time.

4 comments:

Tania said...

Big Hugs Amanda!
Goodbyes are always difficult. I am sorry to hear you lost a dear friend and to have your mum go home in the same week, is tough. I hope you had a lovely time though while she was here.

Amanda said...

Thanks Tania. And yes, I did have a good time while my mother was here.

T. said...

I hope your week is brightening up...

Tally said...

The inescapablity of Good-Bye is hard. Sorry for you, for her and her friends and family.
Your post radiated her personality and that's good.

Take care
:-Tally-: