Monday 25 August 2008

FO: Golliwog

A friend asked me to knit her a Golliwog. And of course I complied:



Over the years I have knitted quite a number of gollys. They seem to remain ever popular. Each time I knit one I am always taken back to my childhood. I was a great Enid Blyton fan. In particular I loved her Noddy books. As a very young child I had quite a collection of these books and I used to lug them around in a little pink and white gingham case. I hated to be parted from my books and would attempt to keep them close at hand at all times.

My older brother wasn't such a fan of Noddy but would still read them until we discovered his weak spot. The scene where the Golliwogs steal Noddy's clothes and car always made him cry which of course led to merciless teasing by his siblings. Ah, yes, I remember it well....

2 comments:

Sue said...

The golliwog is so cute. I used to love reading Enid Blyton books too, especially The Magic Faraway Tree with Mr. Saucepan and Moonface.

riya said...

Hi,
This Golliwog looks cute but I would have appreciated even more if you had used some other color rather than black for its face.

===================================
vinny
look4ward