Monday 27 April 2009

The path of least resistance



When I opened the package from Ripples Crafts containing the April sock yarn I immediately thought of the Fountain Foxglove pattern. So on Saturday I started swatching. Stop making rude noises! I admit, I hate swatching, but I have learned my lesson when it comes to socks. My days of making ill fitting socks are over. I now swatch to make sure I get gauge and the results are worth the effort.

So there I was (un)happily swatching but I could not get gauge unless I went up to a 3.5mm needle. This gave me a very loose fabric and that simply does not wear well in a sock. I like a nice fine stitch for my socks. Of course Bordhi's patterns are made to be customised and I could have sat down, done the calculations and still knitted the pattern but with smaller needles. But I'm just not in the right frame of mind these days for that type of thing so I chose the path of least resistance and opted for a different pattern.

A quick perusal of my Ravelry queue reminded me that I have been meaning to knit Bloomin' Socks for some time. And that is what I've started. So far so good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

shame about the gauge - this bloomin sock pattern looks good too :)

Megan said...

I think Bloomin' will be just as stunning in that color.

T. said...

I find I always have to adjust Cat's sizing - her needle size is always WAY bigger than what I would pick.

lunaticraft said...

I just gauge swatched for my first time on the socks I'm working on... it can be such a pain!

Can't wait to see that yarn knit up.

Helen said...

I envy your ability to swatch ...... never one of my strong points! Enjoy the yarn :-)

LenaL said...

Oh, the Bloomin' Socks will be lovely in that yarn!