Thursday 9 April 2009

Socks!

I confess. I love knitting socks. When I first started to knit socks I simply did it to see if I could. Then I discovered self-striping yarn and I found it very entertaining knitting. But I finally got hooked when I discovered one could knit socks two at a time. That technique, combined with the many beautiful yarns out there, sealed the deal for me. The only knitting experience that equals (maybe even surpasses) sock knitting is lace knitting.

So, of course, I have recently finished another pair of socks and I've cast on for a new pair.

The finished pair are the Primavera socks for Val. And I've very happy to say she has received them and they fit.



The yarn is Miami Red from the Bendigo Woollen Mills.

I decided to join Sock Knitters Anonymous on Ravelry and I'm participating in the April Sockdown. I've opted to knit an under-appreciated pattern - Window Pane Socks. And the gorgeous yarn I'm using is from Ripples Crafts Hand Dyed Yarns in the colourway Assynt Winter. The pattern is a combination of twisted stitches and cables and is absorbing all my attention at the moment. And as for the colours, well what can I say? Every stitch is a delight.



My blog has been hit by a lot of spam of late so I've decided to turn the comment moderation on to try and counteract it.

10 comments:

Amy said...

The sock knitting monster is trying to eat my brain, too! But I just can't get the hang of comfortable double knitting, so I can't do two on the same needles. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to trying two on a cable. Or maybe I'll wimp out and go back to garter stitch scarves. :)

Amy said...

D'oh! Forgot to say I saw your blog in the Ravelry "Lesser Known Skeins" group.

LenaL said...

How lovely they are, and what a beauteful colour!

Happy Easter!

Cybèle said...

The colours of the sock you're knitting: gorgeous! Off now to go and have a look at their selection, may very well be tempted...

lunaticraft said...

Beautiful socks! I have yet to take the plunge into sock knitting myself, and it's partly because I'm pretty sure once I do, I won't be able to stop, and then all my other projects with fall to the wayside! =D

T. said...

Socks are addictive! Lovely work.

Mary said...

Socks are like pretzels to me...before you know it all your sock yarn is gone!

Love the colours!!!

OSA said...

Sock knitting is the awesomest!! I love the window pane socks. I have to conquer my fear of twisted stitches one of these days and cast on for a pair for myself!

Anonymous said...

Hiya buddy, finally getting a chance to catch up with you - loving my socks Im wearing them right now ;) I might have to get you some sockyarn to make me some more **hee,hee*

Joanie said...

Love the socks.

I haven't been able to get the hang of two at a time socks. I just do two at once, but each on their own double-pointed needles.

I confess, I enjoy people's amazed looks when I work with all those pointy sticks!