Sunday 11 April 2010

I can't sew

Yet again I have had to face the fact that I am no good at sewing. I promised to knit my mother a couple of cardigans while she is visiting me. She got to choose the patterns and yarns. When she chose the Farmer's Market Cardigan I was quite relieved because a cursory glace at the pattern had me believe that not a great deal of seaming was involved. But as things turned out that was not quite the case. The body of the cardi is indeed knitted as a whole with no seaming. The sleeves and cabled edging, however, required seaming, lots and lots of seaming. Seaming that is on show and is meant to be nice and neat. And I don't do nice and neat but I'm very good at dog's breakfast seaming. Still, I muddled along and here is the end product modeled by the new owner of the cardi.



The yarn is the gloriously soft 10 ply Luxury from Bendigo Woollen Mills in Ghost. This yarn is a real pleasure to work with.





I am happy to knit miles and miles of stocking stitch or even garter stitch but please spare me the seaming!

4 comments:

Sue said...

It looks lovely on your mum Amanda. What a nice cardigan and I cant wait until I can try out my Bendigo luxury (trying to finish off a few projects at the moment)!

lara griffiths said...

ditto
from one seaming hate to another.

but the cardi is beautiful!

Mary said...

Your mom's cardigan is gorgeous!

But I do have to say I am with you, seaming is not one of my favorite things. I modify patterns all the time to get rid of seams.

Lupie said...

Love this sweater!
I am one of those crazy people that enjoys weaving in ends and seaming projects.
Yes I am nuts!